Traditional Greek Easter in Santorini
Meet the Greek Easter in Santorini by Santorini tours!
Easter in Santorini is a spectacular experience! Passing by through the fields with the white dirt, you come across the medieval village where the carrying around of the epitaph fills you with religious feelings.
As you walk the road you can see on your left and right, tin oil lamps which form a river of shimmering fire, the women are chanting and the smell of spring flowers is sweetly mixed with the incense.
Holy Week in Santorini
At the monastery of Prophet Ilias located at the highest point of the island, on the night of Resurrection you have a clear view of the fireworks lighting up the whole island of Santorini.
During the Holy Week the place is filled with smells and tastes. The bakeries are making continuously Easter breads, cookies and melitinia, the traditional Easter sweet of Santorini.
Another significant Easter meal is the sgardoumia, the soup that locals eat at the night of Resurrection. The ceremony for welcoming spring is concluded with cocooning at private swimming pools above the breathtaking edge of the cliff and following the nightlife of Fira.
Good Friday in Santorini
Do not miss the as the astonishing Good Friday in Pyrgos. The area is located in the hinterland shines from afar on Good Friday night.
The Tower is high with a unique spectacular view during the day. Especially on Good Friday night, candles make something very special. They enlighten the whole village. From the beginning of the morning, every route and corner of the village, its inhabitants are filled with canes that revive with mineral oil and all together while the Epitaph comes out of the church, creating a river of light that flickers.
In just a few minutes the medieval castle “gets fire”!
Hotels in Santorini for Easter
If you would like to experience something different the Greek Orthodox Easter in Santorini will give you some unforgetable moments. The only thing you need to do is to find the right hotel in Santorini and book a room!
5 Things you should during the Easter in Santorini
- Experience the most religious epitaph of the whole Cyclades, at the medieval tower. The locals light up torches and the whole place smells of myrrh, candles and incense.
- Experience the night of Resurrection from the monastery of Prophet Ilias, at the highest ground of Santorini and watch the fireworks cover the whole island.
- Watch the first sunset of your vacation in peace by booking a Santorini sunset private tour.
- Walk the path that connects Imerovigli with Oia. The spring sweetens the rough sight of caldera, filling it with wildflowers. Book now a Santorini north part private tour.
- Supply yourself with melitinia from local bakeries, traditional Easter sweet with mizithra cheese and sugar.